I first became aware of Radon through a home inspection last Summer. My client was the Seller and the Buyer decided to test the home for Radon during the home inspection period. I had never heard of Radon being a problem in Portland, so I really wasn’t too worried. As it turned out, the tests showed readings above the Environmental Protection Agency’s recommended safety levels.
Radon is a natural radioactive gas that rises up from the Earth through the soil. The gas is odorless, tasteless and colorless. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Radon is estimated to cause approximately 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year.
Testing your home for Radon is not expensive. Test kits can be purchased at major hardware stores. If mitigation is necessary, it is best to hire a licensed company to do the work. Typically this will be the installation of a fan system that circulates air from the inside to the outside of the home.
I hope this reading finds you (and helps keep you) happy and healthy!
All my best~